GearHaunt is reader-supported. If you buy an item through the links on this site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more
The human world is getting attacked by viruses every day you walk out of your room. And even indoor, you are not safe! The only way to save the tribe is to keep the viruses away! And for that, keeping the mask on and the hands clean are the prerequisites.
We have to use a lot of hand cleaners the whole day to keep us safe. And if you do not plan to invest too much money on store-bought cleaners, you can also make the cleaners at home! Yes, we are talking about DIY hand sanitizers!
Today, we will discuss how to make hand cleaners both in gel formula and spray formula. You can try it with us and be a part of safeguarding the world!
Methods of Making DIY Hand Cleaner
Spray Hand Cleaner
- Get a spray bottle of 2 oz. first. Here, you have to add 10 drops of tea tree essential oil. You can also settle for Thieves essential oil in these cases.
- Once you are done adding the previous two ingredients, you have to search for isopropyl alcohol or 191 proof vodka. The hand cleaner we are going to make will include 91% of isopropyl alcohol. The best amount you can go for is 3 tbsp. into the previous mixture.
- Yes, you are almost done. All you have to do not is get your hands on some vegetable glycerin and mix it properly. Keep in mind that if the mixture is not shaken properly, you won’t be getting the benefit from the hand cleaner. Hold the spray bottle and keep shaking it for a while. Once it is shaken properly, you can enjoy the benefits of your DIY hand cleaner.
- In some cases, people don’t feel fine with the glycerin amount we have recommended above. If you feel the same, you can add a bit more glycerin. Check and see if you are getting the desired feelings on your hands after using it or not.
Along with the sanitizing process, it is necessary that you feel moisturized when you use it. In that case, add 0.5 tbsp. of glycerin. However, we do not recommend you going above this percentage. For the whole process, one tbsp. of glycerin is enough.
Gel Hand Cleaner
- First of all, get a bottle of 8 oz. for making and keeping the sanitizer. Certify that the bottle you are choosing is squeezable so that you can squeeze it and get the cleaner out when you need it. In that bottle, you have to pour isopropyl alcohol.
Just like we told you before, you must ensure 91% of isopropyl alcohol in the cleaner to keep you away from germs. So, get your hands on 2/3 cups of the alcohol suggested here. In the alcohol, you have to add 1/3 cups of Aloe Vera gel. Yes, this gel Aloe Vera will create a gel formula for the sanitizer you are making.
- Once you are done measuring and adding the alcohol and the Aloe Vera gel, you have to get your hands on the essential oil once again. Just like we have mentioned earlier, here too, you have the freedom to choose between Tea Tree oil and Thieves essential oil. Pick one and add 10 drops of the oil inside the previously made mixture.
- You are almost ready with your hand cleaner. Get the cap of the bottle and start shaking it. Gel cleaners usually require a little more time to get mixed compared to the sanitizers of spray or liquid formula.
So, shaking for a while is required here. Shake it quite a few times and ensure that all the ingredients inside the bottle are combined properly. Take the cap off and squeeze it a bit. Take it on your palm and see if the sanitizer comes out evenly or not. Try it on your hands and enjoy germ-free life!
How to Use Hand Cleaner or Sanitizer
It is quite easy to use hand cleaners on your hands. Just like you use any other moisturizer on your hand, you can use both the gel and spray cleaners there. However, you must ensure all the parts of your hands get an adequate amount of sanitizer to keep germs away.
Spray the spray cleaner on the palm of your hand in a generous amount. Now, you have to rub it between the two hands. Make sure that each part of the hand has got the cleaner properly. The work of the spray cleaner is to help you get rid of all sorts of germs, dirt, and grime.
Try to use it before and after you eat and after getting back from the washroom. Also, keep repeating it in between whenever you feel the need. Sprays are more convenient than gel formulas.
Not only on your hands, but you can also use it to spray on different surfaces to make it clean. On the toilet seats or the spoon in the restaurants, you can spray once and you are ready to deal with the germs!
On the other hand, you can use a gel formula hand cleaner just like a lotion. All you need to do is squeeze it a bit, take it on your palm just like before, and rub it all over the hands.
FAQs on Making Hand Cleaners
Can I use 70% of isopropyl alcohol to make sanitizer?
Whenever it comes to making hand sanitizer, you must settle for 91% to 99% of isopropyl alcohol to make it an effective disinfectant. However, if you want to use only 70% rubbing alcohol, you can easily do that by changing the recipe proportions.
How do you dilute 91% isopropyl alcohol to 70%?
For this, first of all, you have to get your hands on 91% of isopropyl alcohol and dilute it to 70%. To make it more effective, adding water is recommended. In this case, 30% water works the best. Go for 0.3 part of water and add 91% of the alcohol for making the hand cleaner.
How do you make antibacterial hand wipes?
If you want to keep antibacterial hand wipes with the hand cleaner in your bag to keep the skin safe, you can do it easily. All you need is hot water and aloe Vera. Add some rubbing alcohol. With all these ingredients, make one spoon of mixture and add it to a towel. Saturate the towel and you are done!
Keeping yourself clean in this hectic schedule is necessary. A safer world is something you deserve and you are the one who can contribute to making it! Keep yourself safe with the DIY hand sanitizer. Learn how to make hand cleaner at home and keep germs away!
Don’t forget to comment below about how you make your sanitizer to keep you and your family safe. In these times, it’s not a choice, it’s a necessity!